Pet Insurance 101
“Pet insurance?! What’s that?”
If that is your response to the title of this post, fear not, you’re not alone! However, we hope you’ll read on to learn how pet insurance can benefit you and your pets!
What is pet insurance?
Every year more than 1 in 3 pets falls ill or is injured. Pet insurance is health insurance to help you pay for your pet’s care in the event of a costly accident or illness. With pet insurance, you never have to choose between an expensive treatment and your pet’s life.
What does pet insurance cover?
There are lots of pet insurance plans available but they aren’t all the same. There are differences in what they cover, what they exclude, what they cost, their level of customer service, and how they pay claims. In other words, don’t just pick a plan because it’s the cheapest!
Pet insurance plans can cover:
- Treatment for accidents, illnesses, and diseases
- Treatment for allergies
- Cancer and chemotherapy
- Surgery, hospitalization and nursing care
- Laboratory and diagnostic tests including X-rays and MRI scans
Some pet insurance plans, including Embrace, also cover:
- Treatment for genetic conditions
- Alternative therapies such as acupuncture, hydrotherapy, holistic and homeopathic veterinary medicine
- Chronic and recurring conditions that last more than one policy period, such as allergies, diabetes, and hyperthyroidism
- Routine wellness care can also be covered as part of our Wellness Rewards program
What doesn’t pet insurance cover?
Pet insurance plans usually will not pay for:
- Pre-existing conditions – conditions that your pet had, was diagnosed with or showed symptoms of before enrolling or during the waiting period
- Cosmetic, elective or preventative procedures such as de-worming, tail docking, ear cropping, and declawing (except where medically necessary)
- Veterinary fees related to pregnancy, breeding or whelping
- Orthodontic or endodontic procedures such as root canals or crowns
- Behavioral problems
- Prescription diet food
So, how much does it cost?
The cost of pet insurance varies based on a few factors – the pet’s species, breed, age, sex, and location. On average you can expect to pay around $30 per month for dogs and $20 per month for cats. Adding on a wellness plan typically costs a little more. You shouldn’t compare pet insurance plans based on price alone. In general, plans that cost more also cover more and reimburse you more when you claim.
Pet Insurance companies also may offer discounts for things like:
- Enrolling multiple pets
- Paying annually for your policy instead of monthly
- Being full-time in the military
- Enrolling a service pet (like a guide dog for the sight impaired)
- Enrolling through your company or veterinarian with a discount code
Finally, the most important thing you want to remember is that pet insurance is the one thing you can’t get when you need it the most. Planning ahead and doing your homework on pet insurance now are essential to getting the best, most comprehensive coverage for your pet before something happens. To get a quote for your pet, contact Embrace Pet Insurance by visiting our website or calling in to chat with one of our friendly Customer Care Reps at 800-511-9172.
At Country Friends Veterinary Clinic, we are proud to recommend Embrace Pet Insurance to our clients. Be sure to use the special discount code 80029713 and save 10%.